Sunday 21 July 2013

Questioning the already known...

So far my research into cultural geography has led me to almost see the world as being broken up into diverse pockets of culture. However, it does not take a genius to question this vision, especially when we are starting to see MacDonald’s pop up on the corner of most high streets across the world. So what is going on?

I think the following explanation from the website link below sums it up extremely well:

“When students are presented with a map, such as the one below, they might well logically think that within the so-called ‘Hindu Region’ all the people that live there are of Hindu religion. Yet they would be wrong! The region is also home to millions of Muslims, Buddhists and Christians. Therefore the region contains a cultural diversity within it, and so the title that we give an area simply identifies just the one dominant characteristic”.


Although I feel that I was aware of the above knowledge previously, I had never considered it in the way that the author above demonstrates. It really got me thinking how many people might still have this black and white image of the world by not analysing deep enough. I think as a result that I would be keen to do this type of activity with students, especially as a starter activity. To engage them I would write a really striking statement on the board as they enter the classroom, such as:

“Only English speaking people live in Britain”

Below it I would then present the following map which supposedly backs up the statement:




I would then want them to mind map why they think this is a true or false statement to make, and follow the activity up by having a class discussion surrounding their feedback and personal thoughts. This will hopefully help students to understand how generalist statements people make towards a cultural region do not always present the whole picture, and subsequently lead onto the next class topic that analyses why cultural regions are so diverse.

No comments:

Post a Comment